Dominican College enjoys a wonderful location with magnificent views out over the strand, the sea and the town of Portstewart. Our students enjoy their school and appreciate its setting. There is a very strong sense of an inclusive community within the College.
We seek a disciplined learning environment where everyone has a sense of purpose and where we nurture each individual’s talents. The College is unique amongst Catholic Grammar Schools in N. Ireland in that a very significant proportion of our students are drawn from other denominations as well as coming from a wide geographical area. This diversity helps us to get to know ourselves and others and equips our students for life after school.
High and rising academic standards are very important at Dominican as we seek to help each student achieve his or her best, in and out of the classroom, whatever their ability. We have had more applications to join the school in the past five years than ever before.
Dominican is constantly seeking to improve. In our most recent Inspection the Department of Education looked at English, Science, PE and at our SEN, Careers and Pastoral Care provision including child protection.
The main findings of the inspectorate included:
- The quality of pastoral care is outstanding.
- A key feature of the school is high quality teaching.
- High levels of mutual respect exist between teachers and pupils.
- Pupils demonstrate high levels of motivation and engagement.
- Pupils show independence and maturity in thought and action and high levels of confidence and self-esteem.
- Pupils are characterised by exemplary behaviour and a strong sense of respect and fellowship for one another.
- The school nurtures the individual needs of the pupils, encourages their diverse talents, promotes a sense of self-worth and develops their full potential as confident and well-rounded individuals who are able to contribute to society and the economy.
We have been awarded the prestigious ICT Mark– Only about 20 of the 1280 schools in Northern Ireland have achieved this; we are also one of very few Grammar Schools in Northern Ireland to have gained Laureate status in the ET Sharing Excellent Practice Awards.
Dominican College exists for its students. It is a great privilege for me to be its Principal, working with a wonderful staff team whose aim is to help each student fulfil his or her potential.